This course is designed for the responsible citizen as well as the armed professional who wants to learn the proper use and handling of the precision scoped rifle and associated equipment.
Instruction begins in the classroom with an understanding of equipment selection and setup, followed by ammunition selection and internal, external, and terminal ballistics review. Range instruction focuses on fundamental marksmanship skills including alternative shooting positions, zeroing a rifle, grouping, and scope tracking. Live fire exercises and function drills are designed to test the soundness of the rifle/optic combo in field conditions, and students will practice engaging paper and steel targets out to 300 yards using a mix of improvised positions. The course concludes with a preventative maintenance and equipment care session.
None. Although an entry level course, we strongly recommend completion of Rifle Fundamentals, Handgun 101, or their equivalents prior to taking this course.
- Responsible firearms ownership and applications of the precision hunting rifle
- Firearms safety that works - in the home, workplace, vehicle, in training, and in carry
- Selection of a precision scoped rifle system and accessories
- Selection of ammunition
- Rifle ballistics - interior, exterior, and terminal
- Administrative handling and operation
- Foundational shooting techniques - scoped rifle fundamentals
- Carry conditions and uses of the sling
- Zeroing and grouping at various distances
- Precision shooting drills
- Improvised shooting positions
- Field shooting exercises to 300 yards
- Preventative maintenance session - cleaning, maintenance, inspection, and safe storage
- *Precision scoped rifle with sling*
- Spotting scope (optional)
- Rangefinder (optional)
- Rifle cleaning equipment
- Field notebook and pencils
- Clothing suitable for training in any weather
- Hydration system
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Hat with a brim
- Wraparound eyewear, polycarbonate lenses or non-shattering prescription glasses
- Earmuffs and earplugs
Tuition includes safety glasses and hearing protection at the Epping, NH location.
*We strongly recommend you bring your own Precision Scoped Rifle with sling for this course. We have a limited number of rifles for student use.*
- Estimated round count: 300 rounds rifle
- For Epping, NH courses, non-toxic, non-jacketed FRANGIBLE ammunition may be required
- Ammunition is available for purchase from the Epping facility only
- If you bring ammunition for a loaner rifle, it must be factory loaded .308WIN Match.